Dealer can't figure out engine stuttering and "Check engine light"

stuartsiu

Owns
Integra 1998
2016 Acura ILX

First time it happened I was driving uphill about 3 miles, accelerated to 85mph to pass some slow cars and then slowed down 70mph. Got to top of hill and then cruised downhill for 3 miles until I exited at my exit. At the stop sign I noticed the check engine light was on and the engine was stuttering. I could not drive faster than 20-25mph on flat land. I live on a hill and the car wouldn't go more than 10-15mph. I didn't drive the car anymore that day. I call the tow truck to tow it over to the Acura dealer for them to look at. The tow truck driver turns on the car and said the check engine light did not come on. I told him fine, tow it to the the dealer anyways.

Dealer diagnoses and finds that cylinder #3 misfired. He checked the coil and it was good. He found that one of the spark plugs had arced and suggested I replace the set of plugs. So I agreed and we did that. A week later, I'm going up the same hill on freeway and again passing some cars. On the descent down the hill I noticed the check engine light going off and on. Good thing I can just cruise down to my exit as it was all downhill. At the stop sign, again car is stuttering and sluggish so I pulled off to the sign. I turn off the engine and wait a minute. I turn on the engine and car is okay. It's as if the car engine just reseted. I remember that the tow trucker driver didn't see check engine light. So things are making sense. I'm thinking there's something in the electronics.

I bring the car back into Acura. It's been 3 days and they can't find what's wrong. Any one experience this problem?

stuartsiu

Owns
Integra 1998
Dealer finally did figure it out after extensive testing. It was the fuel injector and fortunately it was still under warranty so they were replaced. Car is running fine now.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.